綠川吊腳樓 Stilt Houses of Midori-gawa
"Kaini Industries" (Boards of Canada cover)
綠川吊腳樓，Midori-gawa (or Green River) Stilt Houses are a series of houses sitting alongside Lane 26, Min-sheng Road in Taichung City, Taiwan. These houses were originally built by Chinese soldiers who came to Taiwan in 1949. Over the years the soldiers moved out and into housing projects. These houses were then sold or rented out to Taiwanese labor workers who came into the city seeking work. Residents of the stilt houses relied on the Green River for drinking water. Waste water was also discharged into the river.
Over the years the city government have torn down most of the stilt houses along the river except the 39 houses remaining. In early 2010, the city announced that these houses were to be demolished due to the Taiwan Railway Administration's elevated railway project. Footage was recorded on November 15 and 16 while the demolishing was still in progress.